If you own a cheap or uncomfortable (but still cheap) mattress and are looking for a new one that is out of your budget, don’t click Buy yet! You can often make an uncomfortable, inexpensive mattress more comfortable for less than the price of a brand new luxury mattress. Here’s what you need to know to save money and transform your bed.
Cheap, affordable and luxurious mattresses on the market
The price of each mattress depends on the size and type (such as springs, foam, latex or hybrid). According to a 2021 study, the average price of a queen mattress ranges between $ 1,050 and $ 2,050. The difference in price is the type of mattress. The average mattress with an inner spring is $ 1,050, the average queen foam mattress is also $ 1,050, and the average latex mattress is $ 2,000. Hybrid mattresses are the most expensive – the queen costs $ 2,050 on average.
Although this is the average price of a mattress, the layers of the mattress can be further broken down, ranging from “cheap” through “budget” to “luxury”. Here’s what you need to know.
What is a cheap mattress?
are cheap, and the mattress itself is often not supple or comfortable. It can relax, be too firm or too soft (especially for sleeping on your back and stomach) or be made of poor quality material. All in all, cheap mattresses rarely give a good night’s sleep.
The advantage of cheap mattresses is the price. Regardless of the type, it is usually around $ 200 to $ 300.
What is a budget mattress?
Any bed like, or Casper Element are considered cheap beds – they are affordable but not cheap or of poor quality. Cheap beds often come in a box and suit most types of sleepers.
Cheap mattresses are a step above a cheap, weak mattress and cost from about $ 350 upwards.
What is a luxury mattress?
A luxury mattress is exactly what it sounds like – imagine an elegant hotel bed. These mattresses will be the most expensive and the most expensive. So, apart from the price, what makes a luxury mattress so special? Luxury mattresses are known for their characteristics: quilted upper layers, euro-tops, phase-changing materials and thick, dense layers.
According to a study from 2021, a luxury mattress with internal springs can start from $ 1,200 upwards, a luxury foam mattress for $ 1,300, a luxury hybrid for $ 2,200 and a luxury latex for $ 2,500.
Luxury mattresses are sold as the most comfortable beds that can be bought with money. However, this may not always be the case. You can take a cheap mattress and turn it into a comfortable, luxurious mattress.
What can you do to make your mattress more comfortable?
The good news is that you don’t have to sleep long on an uncomfortable or cheap mattress. Fortunately, there are many supplements available at many retailers online or in stores that sell sleeping products (such as Amazon, Walmart, and Target).
Raise your cheap or cheap bed a few steps towards a luxury mattress with these extra sleeping accessories. Consider investing in the following items.
The most common and often the most effective way to transform an uncomfortable mattress is to use a mattress topper. This accessory is a thick (usually 2 to 4 inches) layer of foam or feathers that is placed on top of the mattress to change the feel and support of the bed. The most popular mattresses are often made of memory foam.
While this is perhaps the most expensive accessory on this list, it can drastically change any bed. Tempur-Pedic, GhostBed, Puffy, Allswell and Saatva are some of the brands that offer quality mattresses.
The mattress pad is thinner than the cover and is intended to protect the mattress from dirt, stains or damage to pets. In doing so, mattress pads add an extra layer of comfort consisting of latex foam, fiber or feathers to your bed. Mattress pads are quite cheap and are available at many large retailers. For best results, use this in combination with a mattress topper – a real game changer.
Yourschange the feel of your mattress as you lie on it. Ironed bedding or sheets that are not intended for hot sleepers (such as cotton) make sleeping a little difficult. If you really want to improve the game of your mattress, bedding is a good place to start. Look at linen, bamboo, silk, fiber or cotton and decide what works best for you.
Brooklinen, Sheets and Giggles and Ettitude offer quality, luxurious bedding for all sizes of mattresses.
In addition to your bedding, yoursalso determine the comfort and feel of your mattress. Thin, thin or otherwise do not support pillows only contribute to discomfort. Take the time to look for full, soft pillows that support your neck. It is recommended to change the pillows every one to two years. Casper, Nectar and Purple offer pillows for hot sleepers, memory foam lovers and those with neck pain.
For the best results of transforming your cheap or uncomfortable mattress, I recommend investing in all four accessories.
Important tips for transforming your mattress
Neither mattresses nor beds are made the same. Here are some tips to keep in mind when deciding what to add to your mattress.
- Get to know your sleeping position: Your mattress may be uncomfortable because it is not designed for your sleeping position (belly, back, hips or combined). Investigate the intended type of bedroom for your bed or consider transforming a new cheap mattress.
- If you sleep hot, take gel or latex : Latex will not absorb as much heat as ordinary memory foam. GhostBed makes foam toppers for hot sleepers. Also, consider sheets that dissipate heat.
- If you don’t like memory foam, there are mattress options for you: Brands like PlushBeds offer mattresses made of natural latex or even some made entirely of feathers. Latex foam has a higher buoyancy than memory foam, which means you won’t sink as much into the mattress as with memory foam.
- If you need a firmer mattress, there are mattress options for you: While they may not be available in as many quantities as soft memory foam mattresses, solid toppers are available from brands such as Puffy, Avocado and Brooklyn Bedding.
- Not all pillows are made the same: Pay attention to the pillows you buy, because not every pillow is made for your type of sleeper. For example, Tempur-Pedic’s Tempur-Cloud pillow is strictly designed for sleeping on your back and stomach. If you sleep on your side, Tempur-Pedic recommends other pillows, such as the Tempur-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling pillow.
Is a cheap, comfortable mattress for you?
Your sleep is important, and the mattress you sleep on is imperative. Why suffer another night when you have the opportunity to change your home mattress without buying a new one?
Maybe it’s time to transform your old mattress if:
- You constantly wake up in the middle of the night because of your mattress.
- You are not impressed with your bed or sleep quality.
- Your bedding, pillows or other bedding are old, worn or too thin.
- If you are not interested in repairing an old mattress, there is always the option to upgrade and buy a new one.
A cheap but newer comfortable mattress might be best for you:
- You are looking for a new mattress and you do not want to exceed your budget.
- You love memory mattresses, latex or gel foam mattresses (although wool, feather and fiber options are also available).
- Paying $ 350 or more for a medium mattress is out of your budget.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health care professional regarding any questions you may have about your health condition or health goals.